A quick post as this problem took me some a while to resolve. I dropped my iPhone which forced it to do a reset, nothing appeared to be broken and it started up without any real issues, that was with the exception of the email. I use Exchange 2007 email hosting and the emails appeared to be getting pushed to the my iPhone ok; I could read the summary but every email I tried to view I just got the message
‘this message has not been downloaded from the server’
Having tried numerous things to fix it, different connectivity like WiFi and 3G I could not get the email content to download. I even deleted the account and re-added it, all the messages got loaded but again all I could see was the summary view. Eventually after searching various forums I saw a recurring suggestion that turned out to be the solution. If the Date and Time on the phone is wrong then you get this problems with email. Most threads talked about POP3, however it was enough to get me to check – and sure enough the date on the phone had reset to the year 2000.
Correcting the date and time however did not immediately solve the problem, I no longer had the ‘this message has not been downloaded from the server’ message the contents of the email was just blank.
I had to delete and re-add the account after setting the time.
Not SharePoint related I know but something that I thought worth blogging as its one of those annoying issues that the solutions seems to be totally unrelated.